SIA Industry Relations in 2017 provided a variety of resources to the security industry and practitioners to guide the effective implementation of security equipment to protect people and property.
- The Data Privacy Advisory Board, which was launched in 2017, worked to educate the security industry on the importance of protecting personally identifiable information and other sensitive data by holding a webinar on “Data Privacy 101” and producing a paper on “Data Privacy and Security Trends for 2018.”
- The Public Safety Working Group also got underway in 2017 and began developing a “Tactical Solutions Handbook” that will provide practitioners with a guide to security technologies.
- The Retail Security Interest Group produced a 90-second animated video highlighting some of the operational uses that can increase the ROI of security equipment in retail environments. Find the video here.
- The Health Care Security Interest Group published a whitepaper on “Mitigating the Risk of Workplace Violence in Health Care Settings” that was co-branded by the International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS). This work with the IAHSS was a highlight of SIA's collaborative efforts in 2017.
- The Partner Alliance for Safety Schools (PASS), a joint endeavor with the National Systems Contractors Association, updated its “Safety and Security Guidelines for K-12 Schools.”
In addition, SIA Industry Relations connected with end users in various vertical markets, as by delivering a presentation at the Energy, Utilities and Environment Conference, publishing an article in Natural Gas & Electricity and speaking at the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security Annual Conference. SIA strengthened its ties to and support for law enforcement by participating in an active shooter summit organized by the International Association of Chiefs and Police and Target and by sponsoring and presenting the Michael Shanahan Leadership in Public/Private Cooperation Award at the IACP Annual Conference.
Security Technology Insights and Security Market Index
Finally, SIA continued its production of SIA Technology Insights, a semi-annual publication that features in-depth analyses of security technologies and trends written by industry leaders for an end-user audience.
The year saw the continuation of SIA's Security Market Index reports, a bi-monthly publication that provides market confidence and market conditions based on the surveying of SIA member companies. The report is provided to each SIA member, and complements the Investment Trends Committee's annual webinars on the industry's financial landscape.
In 2018, SIA Industry Relations will focus on helping both members of the industry and security practitioners to manage the changes associated with emerging technologies in ways that will enhance safety and security. A key part of this will be the launch of the Autonomous Security Robots Working Group, which will provide resources on how best to deploy robotics and artificial intelligence in a security system.