At ISC West 2017 in Las Vegas, SIA Education delivered 63 sessions at the Sands Expo on April 4-7. The final conference evaluation scores show a 1.17-point increase in the average session rating 86.53 in 2017 vs. 85.36 in 2016) and a -1.12-point decrease in the average speaker rating (86.40 vs. 87.52 in 2016).
Key ISC West sessions included:
- Hands-on Workshop: Creating Intelligent Physical Security Products Using AI and Deep Learning
- How Drones and Video Technology are Redefining Situational Awareness
- Data Security and Video Systems
- Cybersecurity and Security Installations: Hardening IP Connected Physical Security Equipment
At ISC East 2017 in New York City, SIA Education delivered 31 sessions at Javits Convention Center on Nov. 15-16 (40 percent more sessions than 2016). Session evaluations indicated an average session satisfaction score of 85 percent. ISC East offered four hands-on workshops for the first time, enabling attendees to engage in practical exercises reinforcing details on physical security devices and sales training.
Key ISC East sessions included:
- The Protection of Times Square Plaza from Vehicle Attacks
- U.S. Stadium Security: Could the Unthinkable Occur Here?
- Securing the Entrance in a Converged World
- The Evolution of Credentials and Its Use in the IT, OT and Physical Security Environment
At Securing New Ground (SNG) 2017, SIA Education programmed 14 sessions. Content focused on Security Megatrends and presenters delivered content on many areas including accessing and analyzing smart and big data, evolution of risk management and emerging connected services. The event offered networking opportunities and provided a valuable education experience, with presenters demonstrating subject matter expertise and engaging interest.
Key SNG 2017 sessions included:
- A Snapshot into the Evolution of Security Technology
- An Insider’s Look—What’s Driving Today’s Customer Decisions
- The Reality of Cybersecurity: Is It a Battle or Opportunity for Change
SIA continued to offer the Security Project Management Training Seminar, delivering nine seminars throughout the year. Several system integrators elected to offer the training as private courses for their associates, aligning operational goals to educational offerings.
SIA Education also produced five webinars, two focused on security project management and three on content related to sessions produced by SIA Education@ISC:
- Managing Project Scope Creep: Identifying, Preventing and Recovering from It
- Top Five Reasons Why Security Projects Fail
- The Role of Manufacturers and Integrators in Assessing Risk (Parts 1-3)
At Mercer County Community College in New Jersey, SIA continued its partnership with Mercer College in support of the Systems Technology Associate in Applied Science Degree in Security Systems and Technologies degree. The Consultative Sales course was delivered for the first time, enabling students to gain more insight into the world of physical security.
At ASIS International Seminar 2017, SIA Education delivered two sessions for the conference program in Dallas, Texas:
- Extracting Actionable Data from Video Surveillance: Reviewing Shopping Behavior to Terrorism Tactics
- Leverage Your Security System to Operationalize Your Business and Improve Processes to Impact Bottom Line
SIA continued to build awareness for the Certified Security Project Manager (CSPM®) program in 2017. Over the course of the year, SIA received 99 applications for CSPM certification. The first CSPM informational briefing was held at ISC West and recognized newly certified credential holders and provided information to prospective certificants. SIA will continue to hold these briefings at other major industry events in 2018.